Vinum: How to safely remove a volume/drive from the configuration

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Wed Apr 14 16:20:56 PDT 2004

Hello,

so I had set up a rudimentary vinum configuration. I eventually rebooted the
machine to make sure everything came up again correctly. It did, but it also
picked up a couple of old drives and volumes that I had previously used for
testing. "vinum l" now yields:

3 drives:
D alpha                 State: up       /dev/da0a       A: 17244/488 MB
(3532%)
D backup_a_1            State: up       /dev/ad1s1b     A: 31/19531 MB (0%)
D backup_a_2            State: up       /dev/ad0s1a     A: 39/19539 MB (0%)
D beta                  State: referenced       unknown A: 0/0 MB

3 volumes:
V test                  State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:         10 MB
V test3                 State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:         20 MB
V backup_a              State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:         19 GB

5 plexes:
P test.p0             C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:         10 MB
P test.p1             C State: faulty   Subdisks:     1 Size:         10 MB
P test3.p0            C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:         20 MB
P backup_a.p0         C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:         19 GB
P backup_a.p1         C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:         19 GB

5 subdisks:
S test2.p0.s0           State: up       D: alpha        Size:         10 MB
S test2.p1.s0           State: crashed  D: beta         Size:         10 MB
S test3.p0.s0           State: up       D: alpha        Size:         20 MB
S backup_a.p0.s0        State: up       D: backup_a_1   Size:         19 GB
S backup_a.p1.s0        State: up       D: backup_a_2   Size:         19 GB

The drives 'alpha' and 'beta', along with volumes 'test' and 'test3' are old
remnants. The question now is - how do I correctly and safely purge them from
my vinum configuration?

I tried:

   scode-whitestar# vinum stop test
   scode-whitestar# vinum stop test3
   scode-whitestar# vinum rm -r test
   Can't remove test: Device busy (16)

As I interpret the manpage, the use of '-f' should not be required. And
indeed, I assume that '-f' should never be needed unless in extreme cases?

In any case. At the moment my vinum configuration *is* expendable since I have
not stored any data on any of the volumes yet, however I want to know how to
do this correctly so that I can do it on a live system in the future.

Btw, after 'vinum stop', the volumes state show as 'down'. But after an
attempted rm -r, they go back to state 'up' (both test and test3, even though
I only try to remove test).

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org