[SDBUG] lament about freebsd sacrifices

Andrew R. Reiter arr at watson.org
Wed Apr 14 11:48:47 PDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Peter Leftwich wrote:

:I thought I would post this as something of a warning.  Using
:FreeBSD as a primary, non-dual-boot OS means sacrificing.  Here is a
:partial list of sacrifices, as compared to Microsoft Windows XP:
:
:* webcam ball
:* flatbed scanner
:* color printer
:* digital cameras
:* firewire devices
:* several USB 1 and 2 devices
:* IM software features such as voice and video chat
:* websites that use ActiveX (Windows) controls
:* MP3 devices
:
:Any major sacrifices I've forgotten?  ":-\
:

After everyone lists what they believe they are "sacrificing" by using
FreeBSD (or another BSD) instead of Winderz, it might be worthwhile going
through that list, ensuring they are in fact unavailable (or not at the
state you'd like to see) and generating an email to the apropos OS
development mailing lists.

Willing to head up that task?

Cheers,
Andrew