problems with .bashrc

fudo fudo at spamblocked.com
Tue Apr 13 14:11:27 PDT 2004

I'm new to FreeBSD, and to bash. I'm running FreeBSD 5.0, and added
bash from the cd during install. There are .profile and .shrc files in
my home directory; .profile references .shrc with ENV=$HOME/.shrc;
export ENV. There are several uncommented alias lines in the .shrc
file, but none of them work. From what I've read, bash should read
.profile and .shrc, but just in case, I tried copying them to
.bash_profile and .bashrc, changing ENV to =$HOME/.bashrc, and renaming
the original files, but the aliases still don't work. Aliases are
formatted: alias ll='ls -laFo'; entering that at the prompt and it
works fine. Seems like bash isn't reading the rc file. Obviously, I'm
missing something; any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

fudo at spamblocked.com