Interpreting ping response? (the POD lives??)

Daniela dgw at liwest.at
Tue Apr 13 12:40:59 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 13 April 2004 14:46, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
> Can anyone help me interpret the following output?
> I read the ping manpage, but came to the end before
> I learned much that helps me here....
>
> Other than "source" and "destination", where can I
> find an explanation for the rest of this?  And, if possible,
> can you tell me what might be happening?
>
> I've seen responses like it before, but usually only because
> I was pinging a blocked port; unfortunately for me, now I
> kinda need to know, and I really am not deep enough
> into TCP/IP to know where to look for an answer ... :-(

Ping packets an ICMP encapsulated in an IP packet, they have nothing to do
with TCP. Also, you can't ping a port. There are no ports in these protocols,
they are handled in TCP and UDP.

What is listed in the output are the contents of the IP header. They are
described in the RFC 791:
	http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0791.txt

Daniela