Calling the pros .. sound troubleshooting

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Tue Apr 13 09:14:59 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 13 April 2004 11:50 am, Mazen S. Alzogbi wrote:
> Kent Stewart wrote:
> > On Monday 12 April 2004 01:46 pm, Mazen S. Alzogbi wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I already posted this question in this list and got some answers
> >> that was half-solutions to my case. I read a lot about this issue
> >> in every resource I could get my hands on. I am very keen to make
> >> my sound system work on my FreeBSD 4.9 system. This is a laptop
> >> with built-in sound system. It's not old, pretty new so I suppose
> >> PCM is my way to go.
> >>
> >>I recompiled the kernel aftering adding "device pcm". After reboot
> >>and dmesg | grep pcm I get the following:
> >>
> >>pcm0: <SiS 7012> at device 2.7 on pci0
> >>pcm0: unable to map IO port space
> >>device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
> >>
> >>Can someone please guide me through the process of troubleshooting
> >> in a step-by-step fashion?
> >
> > There isn't one.
> >
> > I see the following and all I did was add "option pcm" and follow
> > the steps in the Handbook. Since it isn't working for you, you may
> > have some competition for the I/O port space.
> >
> > pcm0: <SiS 7012> port 0xc400-0xc43f,0xc800-0xc8ff irq 10 at device
> > 2.7 on pci0
> > pcm0: <C-Media Electronics CMI9738 AC97 Codec>
> >
> > You might get a clue by running "pciconf -l". You might also find
> > something by doing a "boot -v" instead of booting the normal way.
> >
> > They may have added a new chipset and you need the pciconf
> > information to patch the sound driver. Everytime I have received a
> > "returned 6", I have had to program something or get some one else
> > to do it. Your best bet there is the people that are maintaing pcm.
> >
> > Kent
>
> Kent,
> Thanks for your reply. I ran the pciconf -lv command I can see the
> following under multimedia?:
>
> none1 at pci0:2:7: class=0x040100 card=0x42011558 chip=0x70121039
> rev=0xa0 hdr=0x00
>      vendor   = 'Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)'
>      device   = 'SiS7012 PCI Audio Accelerator'
>      class    = multimedia
>      subclass = audio
>
> But what does that mean ? Doens't it mean it can see it but can't
> probe it?
>
> I believe that the pcm0 is fighting for IRQ 10 which is used by:

They can share. My line from pciconf is
pcm0 at pci0:2:7:  class=0x040100 card=0x030013f6 chip=0x70121039
rev=0xa0 hdr=0x00

It knows mine is pcm0 and we have a different card number. I don't know
if that is important.

> ohci1: <SiS 5571 USB controller> mem 0xec001000-0xec001fff irq 10 at
> device 2.3 on pci0
> fwohci0: <1394 Open Host Controller Interface> irq 10 at device 11.0
> on pci0
>
> Is there anything I can do to resolve this, you think?

Probably not unless you can program. You have to go through the kernel
modules and find which sound module handles the SiS7012. That is where
the maintainer comes in and I don't have any idea who that is right
now.

I have never looked at the sound stuff. It has been a sort of black
magic that worked. I also have a -current machine that won't do the
installworld and it has my attention right now :(.

If you do a find from /usr/src. For the lack of a better idea, I just
used sound. You will see something like

# find . -name sound -print
./sys/compile/TOPAZ/modules/usr/src/sys/modules/sound
./sys/dev/sound
./sys/gnu/dev/sound
./sys/gnu/i386/isa/sound
./sys/i386/isa/sound
./sys/modules/sound

Your problem is buried in there somewhere. I think you can ignore
the ../gun and ../isa. TOPAZ is the name of my kernel and the kernel
config moved the code that handled  SiS7012 in there. TOPAZ/.../sound
has 3 directories, driver, pcm, and snd. I assume that your 7012
handling code that doesn't recognize your module will probably show up
in one of them.

You can use http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ to track who did the
last work on the module with the SiS7012 in it. They will be your best
bet on getting sound.

I don't what sound cards run where you live but I can buy really cheap
pci ones "that work" for under $20 USD. They are usually as good as the
integrated ones if not better. It all depends on the import duty and
how long you can deal with a computer and no sound :).

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA