How to update binary-files? (solved)

Oliver Fuchs oliverfuchs at onlinehome.de
Tue Apr 13 05:34:28 PDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 07:40:10AM +0200, Oliver Fuchs wrote:
>
> > I would like to know how to upgrade binary-files on my FreeBSD system.
> >
> > I get them from a vendor on 4 CDs.
> > I have read how to upgrade the kernel, the port and the base system but I
> > cannot find a documentation how to upgrade these installed binary-packages
> > from my new cdroms?
>
> Upgrading ports/pkgs is handled separately to dealing with the base
> system.  However a 'pkg' is just the compiled form of a 'port' and the
> two are essentially interchangeable.  You can use the usual
> portupgrade(1) tools to upgrade compiled packages -- see the entry for
> the '-P' flag in portupgrade(1).

Ah thanx that was the documentation I have searched

env PKG_PATH=/mnt/cdrom/package/ALL portupgrade -anPP

Thanx for this. This should be documented in the handbook but as far as I
can see there is nothing mentioned how to upgrade the binaries.

So thanx to all who have answered.

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang bang fruit