Bootup stalls on "Initial i386 initialization"

David Lodeiro dlodeiro at inspired.net.au
Tue Apr 13 05:28:03 PDT 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 03:21 pm, you wrote:
> > 	I have a server that stalls during bootup for about 5 minutes. It shows
> >
> > Starting sshd
> >
> > and then stalls, If I press Ctrl C to cancel whatever it is that is
> > stalling, it shows
>
> Stalls during boot are often the result of DNS timeouts. Do you have a DNS
> server defined in /etc/resolve.conf and if so is it accessible?
That was exactly the problem, I added the machines hostname and the DNS server
addresses to /etc/resolve.conf and all is good now. It also solved another
problem which was that I could only log in through ssh whilst in the network,
I couldnt from outside even though the router redirects port 22.

> -Don
Thanks

David