ssh Connection refused

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Mon Apr 12 19:19:34 PDT 2004

RazorOnFreeBSD wrote:

>I have a firewall and it's running.
>But the outputs for the command "ps -auxv | grep sshd" are :
>
>root    93      0.0    0.4    3008    2176    ??    Is    6:19PM    0:00.16
>/usr/sbin/sshd
>root    168    0.0    0.0    336      204      v0    R+  6:58PM    0:00.01
>grep sshd
>
>I don't really understand why I have two processes from sshd and also why I
>can't connect if it is running (apparently).
>
>???????

Two processes?  Please note that one process is the
"grep" command.  Sshd does appear to be running,
though.

You didn't give us the output of "ipfw show", so
we don't know if the port is being blocked; it seems
like that it is, since you are being told "connection
refused."  "Connection refused" means the port is
closed, either because nothing is listening on that
port, or because the firewall is blocking it...

How about "netstat -anf inet" ?  It should show a
LISTENING socket on port 22 for ssh....

Kevin Kinsey