SOLVED - 5.2.1-RELEASE boot problem

10,000 Screaming Monkeys bsd at in-flux.org
Mon Apr 12 17:21:49 PDT 2004

Nobody has been able to help me here or elsewhere, but I did discover
one strange thing that seems to have taken care of things.

The way I usually build my systems, since they're strictly FreeBSD
machines, is to "dangerously dedicate" the drive. When the system was
installed that way, regardless of what I did in /boot.config, regardless
of which IDE channel I had the drive connected to, and regardless of
BIOS settings tweaked to hell and back, it refused to boot from the IDE
drive and the boot loader would default to 22:fd(22,a)/kernel.

On a lark, I reinstalled the system using a "true" partition and the
FreeBSD bootmgr. When I rebooted the system after the install, it
prompted me for the partition to boot (F1 for FreeBSD) and booted
successfully without any trickery.

When I installed the system yet another time using a "true" partition
and chose the "standard" option (for just a standard MBR, rather than a
boot manager or "none"), the system booted completely normally without
any intervention on my part at all.

So, while I have no explanation for why it acts differently depending on
whether or not the drive is DD'd or given a "valid" partition, that's
what fixed the problem for me. I thought I would make a follow-up post
just in case this ever happens to anybody else and they need some place
to start.

- Jamie

On 04/09, 10,000 Screaming Monkeys rearranged the electrons to read: