I *really* need help PLEASE - buildworld failing on mkdep libstdc++can't find unwind.h but it *is* there

P.D. Seniura pdseniura at techie.com
Mon Apr 12 13:41:30 PDT 2004

Hi Chuck,

----- Original Message -----
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:02:53 -0400
To: Paul Seniura <pdseniura at techie.com>
Subject: Re: I *really* need help PLEASE - buildworld failing on mkdep libstdc++can't find unwind.h but it *is* there

No one is getting -current@ since 'midnight' today (whatever timezone the mailserver uses ;) which is where I originally posted this same msg.  About half the lists are down including CTM-via-email (FTP is current & okay there).  Simon Nielson from -www@ says the postmaster has been notified.  -questions@ is working, fornunately.

> > I've posted several msgs over the past two weeks
> > stumbling on buildworld when using lang/gcc33.
>
> ...and I remember seeing these messages go by, too.  :-)

I'd seen another user ask about using the gcc ports, so I thought I'd take a plunge and report back.

> Trying to build -CURRENT with a compiler from a port rather than with the
> default compiler is a wizard-mode operation (unfortuantely).  I suspect that
> you would have better luck tracking RELENG_5_2 or RELENG_4.

I think I mentioned some time back that the port net/tn3270 I'm suppose to be working on needs to track 5-Current because it relies on copying the /src/contrib/telnet tree.  And mentioned I'm trying to beat the deprecated functions, too, by making sure we can use the next planned release gcc3.3.4, even.  Well, we cannot use 'em as I've said, just too many things need work.

> If you want to experiment with a gcc from ports, try rebuilding a specific
> application and benchmarking that before trying to do so with the entire
> world.  If you wanted to perform a broader test, consider recompiling KDE and X11.

Yeah, I know.  But 'til someone finds time to help, I can't do it alone, _way_ too many problems.

> [ ... ]
>  > PLEASE Help - I do not want to blow everything away
> > and start completely over, as Da Bosses are looking
> > rather stern that this project is taking way too long.
>
> It is not clear to me what problem you are trying to solve by the activities
> you are pursuing: perhaps you ought to install 5.2.1 or 4.9 from a .iso image
> and get on with other tasks, and revisit the issue of recompiling world later?

Nutshell:  I've gone back to using the system gcc.  Now we're not able compile libstdc++ and other related pieces; the headers _are_ there as mentioned in the earlier msg.  Just about every other thing under world _does_ compile & link properly -- it is just the libstdc-type stuff.  We should be running an installworld made from April 8's bzip2all from current.freebsd.org, and fresh srcs from the CTM deltas up to this morning.  I don't know what else to check on, I'm needing another pair of eyes.  ;)

> --
> -Chuck

  --  thx, Paul Seniura.