NIC problem

andy at neu.net andy at neu.net
Sun Apr 11 01:39:40 PDT 2004

I just ran into an unusual problem, and I need some help.  I am trying to
integrate a firewall in my network, based on 5.2.1.Release and Ipfilter.
I actually had everything working, and did something that I think caused
my problem.  I tried to ssh into my firewall and I accidentally used the
wrong interface.  Instead of connecting to the NIC connected to the LAN,
I tried to connect to the outside interface.

Now, somehow there is an option for VLAN when I type ifconfig.
Right under the line for rl0 I see this:
options=8<VLAN_MTU>

What is this, and what does it mean.  How do I get rid of it?  I tried to
do ifconfig rl0 destroy, but that doesn't work.

How can I recreate the rl0 interface without the VLAN option?

I could really use some help on this one!  Any advice is appreciated!

TIA

Andy