sendmail/strace hanging

Cory Petkovsek cory at adaptableit.com
Fri Apr 9 18:24:24 PDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 10:16:42AM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 04:08:39PM -0700, Cory Petkovsek wrote:
>
> > Stopping sendmail with `sh /etc/rc.sendmail stop` works quickly.  Starting it
> > takes about 3min.   Both sendmail-submit and sendmail-clientmqueue take a
> > while before moving.  Booting also has this delay.
>
> In the interests of eliminating the obvious: you have confirmed that
> this is not some sort of DNS timeout?  Delays of that length on
> starting up sendmail are usually due to waiting out the DNS timeouts.

Would dns timeouts affect mailq?  My dns is setup correctly locally, which is
where I was trying to send my tests, to my local mailhub.  What is also
interesting is that it has started working again at a normal speed, without any
changes or restarts.  It was slow over config changes, make world, and
reboots.  But became slow, then became normal just by sitting idle.  I have a
p4 with HT and an SMP/HT kernel.  Could that have anything to do with it?

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek                                       Adapting Information
Adaptable IT Consulting                                Technology to Your