Inexpensive wireless suggestions

Timothy Ham tham at atta.nth-order.com
Fri Apr 9 13:56:20 PDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 06:44:43PM +0100, Aleksandar Simic wrote:
: On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 12:31:52PM -0400, Bob Collins wrote:
: > On Tue, Apr  6, 2004, Jonathon McKitrick clacked the keyboard to
produce:
: > >
: > > I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive wireless setup for home
that
will
: > > work with FreeBSD and an older laptop.  Does anyone have any
suggestions?
: > >
: > > NOTE: Please CC me, as I am not currently subscribed.  Thanks.

It is possible to use just the Access Point portion of consumer
"broad-band Router" devices.  I found this to be easier and cheaper than
purchasing stand-alone AP's.  Basically, disable all the router functions
(DHCPD, NAT), and leave the "WAN" port that connects to the cable modem
unconnected.  Connect the gateway to the "LAN" ports, and that's it.

I have written an Wifi-IPSEC guide here, the first portion of which has
some more info:
http://sahara.lbl.gov/~tham/wifi-ipsec.txt