problems reconfiguring kernel for sound

Peter Kurpis kurpis at drizzle.com
Thu Apr 8 22:22:25 PDT 2004

I have a strange problem installing 4.7 on my Toshiba 1135 laptop.  (I need 4.7 for compatibility reasons.)

To add support for my Avance AC97 audio hardware, I added the following lines:

device pcm
device sbc0 at isa? irq 17 port 0x18C0 flags 0
options PNPBIOS

(and tried various other permutations).  The irq and port are from Windows, flags is 0 because there is apparently no DMA.

When I reboot, it seems that my USB controller has taken over /dev/pcm !

dmesg | pcm
pcm0: <Intel 82801DB (ICH4)> port 0x18c0-0x18ff,0x1c00-0x1cff mem 0xe0100800-0xe01008ff,0xe0100c00-0xe0100dff irq 10 at device 31.5 on pci0

Note that the IO port and memory addresses are right, but the IRQ is wrong (should be 17).  I don't know what device 31.5 is, and don't know how to look it up.  ?

After  cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV snd0 , if I try cat someAudioFile.au > /dev/audio, it prints gibberish on the screen, and I can't recover control.

What's even weirder is that when I comment out all the USB support lines (as well as the smbus, ichsmb, and smb device lines I added for the 82801) in the configuration file, and rebuild the kernel, the devices uhci0 through uhci2 and usb0 through usb2 *still* show up on bootup (and in dmesg)!

Can anyone help with ideas of what could be wrong, or where to start troubleshooting?  Thanks!