unable to use BOOT EASY to boot linux

Johnson David DavidJohnson at Siemens.com
Thu Apr 8 16:54:43 PDT 2004

On Thursday 08 April 2004 04:40 pm, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

> > So far this is correct. LILO needs to be on the *root* partition.
>
> No, it doesn't.  It only needs to be on some boot record: the MBR or
> the BR of one of the 4 primary partitions.  It was once common to put
> it on a small /boot partition in the first 1024 cylinders (no longer
> necessary), with the Linux root partition above 1024.

You are correct. I was assuming the use of the FreeBSD Boot Manager to
control the second harddrive as well, in which case you would want it
on the MBR instead of LILO.

The advantage of the FreeBSD Boot Manager is that you can put it on the
MBR and not have to configure it later if you add another OS to the
second harddrive. With LILO you would need to boot into Linux to
reconfigure it. (And ditto for Grub if you installed it to a Linux
filesystem).

David