any unusual inode problems with 4.9-RELEASE?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Apr 8 15:11:00 PDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 11:17:40PM +0300, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 10:13:04 -0700
> Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
>

> > 	For the past few days I'm seeing serious inode problems
> > 	on my 40G drive.  Has anybody seen unusual troubles with
> > 	inodes on FreeBSD-4.9-RELEASE?  If not, maybe I'd better
> > 	get a second drive and dd over?  I was running 4.9-STABLE
> > 	prev, and didn't see any major problems.
>
> Could you give some details ?

		At leas twice my 4.9-RELEASE has died and upon
		trying to reboot, I've gotten stalled and thrown
		into single-user mode and asked to fsck by-hand.

		fsck -y has worked so far---it failed once this
		morniing; then worked.  I've found some bad,
		partially-allocated inodes.  fsck rm'd/cleared
		these and I lost several essential files.

		I've been up/booted since around 10.00 and have
		been been tarballing and scp'ing things to other
		servers... just in case.

		-STABLE seemed to be stable, surprise:),
		but then, who knows?  It's a 3-year-old IDE
		and it might have been bumped.  (?)

> > 	Suggestions?  Do I have to create one huge slight filesystem,
> > 	mount it and dd or what?
>
> If your asking how to use dd for moving your data to another (bigger)
> disk please see the faq, it has an entry on this.

		URL, please?

		gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix