Internet 2

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Thu Apr 8 12:18:04 PDT 2004

JJB wrote:

>You state.
>"I have DSL and my ISP is AT&T, I have a static IP which means I
>don't need to run PPP to connect."
>
>That is not true for 4.9 and I have not read anything which changes
>that for 5.x.

This doesn't have anything to do with the version of FreeBSD he is
running. I assume from the fact that he connects with an ethernet cable
that he is using a dsl modem/router which negotiates the connection and
if necessary will be running ppp. In that case, there is no need for him
to run ppp.

>Hi everyone,
>
>I bring an old post again because I have now more information to
>give this.
>
>My post was this one :

>I just setup a freebsd box with the 5.1 release to be a
>gateway/firewall.
>The installation was smooth and to setup the gateway/firewall with
>nat a lot of sources are available on Internet.
>Here is my problem, I can't connect to Internet from the Freebsd
>box.
>I have DSL and my ISP is AT&T, I have a static IP wich means I don't
>need to run PPP to connect.

No, that means you don't have to run dhcp client.

>FreeBSD Internet NIC is : 12.103.21.x
>
>When I type ifconfig my NIC looks fine, up and running :
>
>rl0 : 12.103.21.x
>
>For information the freebsd box contains 2 NIC's one for Internet
>the other for the LAN (192.168.1.1)
>
>If I ping myself no problem everything's fine, but I can't ping a
>web address. I don't know if it is possible under unix but I use to
>"ping www.yahoo.com" for example to know if it's well connected. But
>the best proof is when I try to install samba my freebsd gives a
>time out reaching the samba server on the web....

Yes, ping is possible under unix. Try pinging a known numeric ip address
first. If that doesn't work, you have a routing/connectivity problem. If
it does, and you can't then ping a hostname like www.yahoo.com, you'd
want to check your nameservers listed in /etc/resolv.conf

To start with, assuming that 12.103.21.1 is your dsl router (and it
needs to be for your configuration to have any chance of working), can
you ping that? Next, can you ping, say, 12.127.16.83?

>I also rebuilt the kernel up to those websites wich was fine, and I
>created a natd.conf file.

I don't know what this means.

>Here is my "netstat -r" output :
>
>Dest                        Gateway                    Flags
>Refs
>Use         Netif
>
>Razor                      12.103.21.1              UGSc           2
>105        rl0
>12.103.21/24           link#1                       UC
>1
>0            rl0
>12.103.21.1             link#1                       UHLW         3
>2            rl0
>localhost                   localhost                   UH
>0
>0            lo0
>192.168.1                link#2                       UC
>1
>0            dc0
>kitty.my.domain        00:06:5b:b4:41:1c     UHLW         0
>0
>dc0

There's no default route. You can try setting one explicitly on the
command line but you really want a solution that will survive reboots.
If you've been mucking about with ifconfig type statements, try a reboot
to clear the air, then the ping tests (numeric ip of router - numeric ip
of nameserver - hostname).

I would also recommend you set a proper hostname in /etc/rc.conf -
preferably a real one...

PWR.