Vinum + new disk for mirror
rob at web.ca
Wed Apr 7 17:19:29 PDT 2004
Just a follow up on my recent vinum disk replacement question...
I have a two disk mirror and one of the disks died; I'd asked if
I could use dd to copy the good disk to a replacement disk and
was being persistent about whether that would work or not. %-)
I didn't do that (dd).
Instead I followed Greg Lehey's advice and the instructions here:
and it all went fine. There's a note on that page about a
"a bug [that] will cause the state to be incorrect", but
I didn't run into it. My steps were:
- install the new disk
- fdisk it with /stand/sysinstall
- edit the partition table with disklabel to match the
partitions on the good disk
- create a config file -- vinum.newdisk:
drive vinumdisk2 device /dev/ad2s1d
- run 'vinum create vinum.newdisk'
- then 'vinum start data.p1.s0' # etc...
More information about the freebsd-questions