internet via USB: how to use with FreeBSD?

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Apr 7 06:58:42 PDT 2004

Rob wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My parents have an internet provider, that uses the TV-cable and
> connects through the USB port. The provider only has M$-Window$
> software provided, and this works now with a single computer.
>
> I want to replace this M$-Window$ computer by a FreeBSD router,
> to start a home network.
>
> I am at a loss what to do with the USB internet connection?
>
> I know how to get a router set up with RJ-45 cables and two
> ethernet cards. But can FreeBSD handle a USB internet connection?
>
> Hints how to deal with this, are highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Rob.

What is the device?  There are at least four in the
5.X GENERIC kernel:

    USB Ethernet, requires mii
    device         aue             # ADMtek USB ethernet
    device         axe             # ASIX Electronics USB ethernet
    device         cue             # CATC USB ethernet
    device         kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB ethernet

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.