Inexpensive wireless suggestions?

Jonathon McKitrick jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org
Tue Apr 6 11:05:21 PDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 06:44:43PM +0100, Aleksandar Simic wrote:
: On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 12:31:52PM -0400, Bob Collins wrote:
: > On Tue, Apr  6, 2004, Jonathon McKitrick clacked the keyboard to produce:
: > >
: > > I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive wireless setup for home that will
: > > work with FreeBSD and an older laptop.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
: > >
: > > NOTE: Please CC me, as I am not currently subscribed.  Thanks.
: >
: > Post it here, read it here.

Sorry, I don't ask enough questions to warrant subscribing.

: > Man wi  will help with wireless cards. Any card should would with any
: > WAP using the same protocol, if not a multi protocol WAP.
: >
: > I went with a cheapo Belikn WAP $20.00 USD and a Spectrum second0hand
: > card $25.00 USD. Works fine for me.

It sounded simple at first, until I read man 8 wicontrol.  I'm new to
networking, and I'd like something somewhat 'plug-n-pray'.  Also, most of
the routers are Cable/DSL routers with firewalls/DHCP built in.  I just have
a dialup ISP, so all I need is a wireless hub, basically.

jm
--
My other computer is your Windows box.