ports hosed

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sun Apr 4 13:55:25 PDT 2004

On Sunday 04 April 2004 01:44 pm, Jay Moore wrote:
> On Sunday 04 April 2004 03:29 pm, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > > Well, done is done... no way I can "back up", and re-visit
> > > questions that I've already answered incorrectly. And meanwhile
> > > my machine is still crunching forward with the last "portupgrade
> > > -a" that I did - this will likely continue for quite some time as
> > > it reports 211 ports (and this # keeps growing!) I believe I've
> > > lost control of the f**g thing...
> > >
> > > So - is there a way to go back to "ground zero"?... to just
> > > remove everything from the ports tree, and re-install from the
> > > 5.2 cd?
> >
> > I got to thinking about this more. I think you should have taken
> > care of all of the problems in /usr/ports/UPDATING before you fire
> > off portupgrade -a. You would have probably still bumped into the
> > openssl problem but it is a good idea for a start.
>
> Agreed... _if_ I had known to read /usr/ports/UPDATING I might have
> avoided the chaos I've created. For that matter if I'd known that the
> K3b port was going to suck down a bazillion dependencies, I would
> have foregone this whole quagmire :)
>
> But I didn't. I've learned a little bit, but I am where I am, and I
> have no confidence that this thing is going to conclude in a stable
> situation anytime soon - at least not without a lot more time and
> effort.
>
> So - again, is there any way to cleanly remove and re-install the
> entire ports tree from the 5.2 cd?

You have the port structure on the CD. You can remove /usr/ports/* and
then do the install.

You should be aware that your are going back to a system with a security
notice attached to openssl. You aren't saving problems but could be
introducing a port security risk instead. If you haven't upgraded to
5.2.1, you already have a system with a security risk.

FWIW, I have a clean port system on both 5-current and 4-stable. So, it
is possible.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart