Symlinks & chroot - Is it Possible?

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Sat Apr 3 09:34:18 PST 2004

I have a few users that I wish to allow FTP access on my 4.9-RELEASE-p4
system.  I've setup their accounts and added them to /etc/ftpchroot to
lock them into their login directories.  They are in the standard
/home/user dirs.

However, I want all of them to have access to another directory
(/ftp/share) that is setup read-only.  I tried adding a symlink to
/ftp/share but I've found this doesn't work when the user is chrooted.
I've Googled on this issue.  A FAQ for  PureFTPd confirms this and
suggests mount_null.  But the man page for mount_null says that the code
is beta and may wipe out a file system.

What is the best way to achieve my objective?  If mount_null is it, how
do I use it?  Do I include it in some sort of login script?  I've set
these users shells to nologin.  How would that work?

Thanks,

Drew