5.2 Help

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Apr 2 14:19:08 PST 2004

> On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 16:20:41 -0500 (EST), you wrote:
>
> >> I just purchased 5.2 FreeBSD.  And with my system i can not boot from
> >> the CD.  So i tried to make the floppy image and when i formatted the
> >> floppy it is only 1.38MB and i can not place the image on the disk.
> >> What should i do.  Is there another way to do this.
> >
> >On what system did you do the format?
> >If it was on a Microsoft system, is it possible that system files
> >were copied to the floppy as part of the format process.  I think
> >that is the /s flag, but it has been so long, I may remember wrong.
> >Most of those files are "hidden".
> >
> >Otherwise, if you formatted it to 1.44MG and nothing else was put
> >on the disk, then it must have had bad sectors which were excluded.
> >That could happen either on the MS system or on the FreeBSD system.
> >
> >If so, just discard that floppy and try another is about all you can do.
>
> No.  You don't "format" the floppy when building the boot disk(s).  You
> use the tools supplied to write the raw image file (including the
> formatting) to the disk.

Gee, I have made a lot of bootable floppies - we used to distribute
our system on floppy+DAT tape - and had to format all of the floppies
in order to write boot images to them.   Sometimes we even had to reformat
floppies that were preformatted from the vendor.

And double Gee, I just read through the piece on preparing the media
from the handbook section you just posted and golly if it doesn't say
to format the floppies yourself.   So, what sup with your post?

> See the handbook, section 2.2.7
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-pre.html

#

2.  Prepare the Floppy Disks

   You must prepare one floppy disk per image file you had to download. It is
   imperative that these disks are free from defects. The easiest way to test
   this is to format the disks for yourself. Do not trust pre-formatted
   floppies. The format utility in Windows will not tell about the presence
   of bad blocks, it simply marks them as ``bad'' and ignores them. It is
   advised that you use brand new floppies if choosing this installation route.
 ...etc...

#

////jerry