unknown tcp connections to dawsonmail.com

Chuck McManis cmcmanis at mcmanis.com
Thu Apr 1 22:23:24 PST 2004

At 04:43 AM 4/1/2004, Lorin Lund wrote:
 > Qwest is my phone company.  When I signed up for DSL I opted for
 > and external DSL connection.  They supplied an ActionTec router/hub/modem.
 > It has an HTML interface for configuration and it has a limited amount
 > of traffic logging.  The log shows the external domain and the internal
 > IP address.  There are several Windoze boxes and my FreeBSD box.  The
 > ActionTec does NAT.  Anything that comes in that isn't a response to an
 > outgoing packet would normally be dropped.

Turn off your PCs one by one. You'll have to wait 4 minutes for the TCP
connection to timeout, or you can reboot your router. Either way I bet
money that at one point there will be a PC turned off and the connection
will not get re-asserted. That that PC out back and either crush it with an
SUV or load FreeBSD on it, either way will fix the problem :-) (More
helpfully go to www.lavasoft.de and get their adaware program for culling
such things)

--Chuck