4.9-RELEASE doesn't recognize NIC

Daniela dgw at liwest.at
Thu Apr 1 13:13:14 PST 2004

On Wednesday 31 March 2004 20:10, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 08:54:28PM +0000, Daniela wrote:
> > I'm installing FreeBSD 4.9 on a brand-new machine. The problem is that it
> > doesn't recognize my network card, no matter what I do.
> > The vendor ID is 10DE and the device ID is 0066 (the BIOS tells me these
> > numbers).
>
> That's an nVidia nForce2 Ethernet controller.
>
>     http://pciids.sourceforge.net/iii/?i=10de
>
> Should be supported to some extent (if you have the onboard MCP MAC
> enabled) via the binary-only Linux driver: see the net/nvnet port.
> You'll probably have to borrow another NIC in order to get the system
> installed and then build yourself a kernel and install the net/nvnet
> port after that.

I installed the port and followed the instructions in the README file. I chose
the method using rc.conf and ifstart_nv0. The module loads well, but on boot
it says: ifconfig: interface nv0 does not exist.
When I configure it manually in sysinstall, it is still down, but the
interface does exist after boot.

Daniela