Vinum Subdisk Crashed - How To Repair? -- SOLVED!!!

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Thu Apr 1 12:46:53 PST 2004

On 4/1/2004 12:15 PM Drew Tomlinson wrote:

> --- Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Thank you very much for your reply. I’ve tried to
> clean this up so it remains readable when it reaches
> you.
>
>>> Heh. I suppose that's a good enough reason.

>>> Maybe.

Not knowing what else to do, I totally removed everything related to my
usr volume. Explicitly, I removed all subdisks, plexes, volumes, and
drives, using the -f option when needed. Then I recreated the drives,
volumes, plexes, and subdisks using my original configuration file. I
was then able to fsck the volume and subsequently mount it.

After this success, I repeated the steps on my ftp volume. One final
reboot and the system came up and all my data appears to be there on
both my usr and ftp volumes.

<snip>

Based upon this experience with vinum and a similar one I had last year
around this time, I strongly suggest that one does not use vinum with
firewire drives. I have one 80 GB IDE drive that is in a firewire
enclosure. Upon reboot, the drive is not recognized by the system. Then
when vinum tries to access it, vinum responds unpredictably because it's
not there. Sometimes only the volume containing the missing disk is
affected but other times, some or all vinum volumes are affected.

I plan on writing up my experience with firewire to see if I'm doing
something wrong or if there is some bug in the firewire driver in a new
thread.

Hopefully this post will prevent someone else from having the problems
I've had.

Drew