PERL question

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Thu Apr 1 08:07:31 PST 2004

Okay, this is probably off topic, and I'll gladly take it offlist if
someone can contact me directly with an answer...I was hoping that with
the BSD Unix gurus here, someone may have experience in the area of
this question :-)

I'm looking for a PERL script that can act kind of like a proxy
(filter?) for an IMAP connection, and when certain lines of text come
through, it will erase them while leaving everything else intact.

What I'm thinking of aiming for is to have the proxy run on the local
machine, and tell my IMAP client to connect to it; the proxy would
connect to the "real" address of the IMAP server.  All the commands for
browsing, reading, flagging, etc. would be passed just fine but when
headers for read receipt/tracking requests come into the proxy, it
would just filter them out (or alter them in a way that they would be
useless).

Would such a thing even be possible to easily implement, if it doesn't
already exist?  It should be pretty transparent, I would think...

Thanks for any guidance you could offer in this area...

-Bart