Changing from POP3 server to IMAP server

Gary gv-list-freebsdquestions at mygirlfriday.info
Tue Sep 30 09:29:35 PDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 09:02:22AM -0700 or thereabouts, Chris Pressey wrote:
> ...except for some FreeBSD-specific info :)
>
> Here are some tips:
>
> 1) FreeBSD uses a "MTA wrapper" which makes your mailer *look* like
> sendmail, regardless of what your mailer actually is.  This wrapper is
> located at /etc/mail/mailer.conf.  Mine looks like:
>
> sendmail        /var/qmail/bin/sendmail
> send-mail       /var/qmail/bin/sendmail
> mailq           /var/qmail/bin/qmail-qread
> newaliases      /var/qmail/bin/newaliases

Since qmail has a sendmail wrapper to begin with, as noted above, and it
is put in as a replacement (marking the original to sendmail.old), in
/usr/lib/sendmail, and /usr/sbin/sendmail why would you need the above in
mailer.conf?

> This makes setting up non-sendmail mailers quite a bit easier.  IIRC the
> PORT_NOTES file in the qmail port has more information about this.

Any non-sendmail mailer, I am assuming you mean those which require the
input of an actual SMTP source, can of course be set for SMTP as
localhost, 127.0.0.1, or the actual LAN IP address.

BTW, the actual example script  given on lifewithqmail.org for creating groups and
users for qmail, is for FreeBSD.

--
Gary