Using hp surestore dat 24 tape drive with Free BSD 4.8

Verghese George vgeorge at groupwise.swin.edu.au
Mon Sep 29 22:20:43 PDT 2003

Could someone help me with this problem?
I connected the hp surestore dat 24 drive with Free BSD 4.8 . It has a
Ultra SCSI DC-315U drive (Tekram technology Co. Ltd). This card is not
recognised by the system. Is there a driver I can use with this card?  I
got  dc395_trm.tar.gz , untarred and unzipped it and  copied
dc395x_trm.c and dc395x_trm.h to  /usr/src/sys/pci directory (as per the
instructions at the website).   I also edited
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC and gave a device name tekram_trm0. When
I tried to recompile the kernel, this name was not recognised.

Am I following the right procedure?  Can somebody advise me?
Thanks

Verghese George