RealTek Nic Chip

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 29 17:01:40 PDT 2003

On Monday, 29 September 2003 at  9:38:00 -0700, Tony A, Fields wrote:
> Greg,
>
> Sorry for the mangling??
>
> Sorry that you don't seem to understand my problem or I just am not making
> myself clear? Please let me restate.

I forget.  The explanation is below, and I just can't be bothered to
reorganize this message.

> I have two network interface cards. One is being recognized but the
> other is not. The one that is recognized is the D-Link DFE-530TX.

Yes, we saw that.  That's the Realtek chip.

> After running the pciconfi -vl  there are two network interfaces listed
>
> none7 at pci0:4:0
> nVidia Corp
> nForce MCP2 Networking adapter

This is not a Realtek chip.  As it says, it's an nVidia chip.  Also,
this is only part of the output.  You've missed out the important
part.  The output should be something like this:

none7 at pci0:4:0: class=0x020000 card=0x570c1462 chip=0x006610de rev=0xa1 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Nvidia Corporation'
    class    = network
    subclass = ethernet

The numbers are the key to whether the chip is supported or not.  I'd
guess not.

I really can't be bothered continuing with this thread.  You're making
it very difficult for me.  Maybe somebody else with more patience will
reply to your further messages.

Greg
NOTE: Due to the currently active Microsoft-based worms, I am limiting
all incoming mail to 131,072 bytes.  This is enough for normal mail,
but not for large attachments.  Please send these as URLs.