how to get system information

paul beard paulbeard at mac.com
Sun Sep 28 15:30:47 PDT 2003

Per olof Ljungmark wrote:

>>> I am wondering how to find out system hardware information from a
>>> running system, I know for instance pciconf(8) but what are the
>>> corresponding ones for memory, cpu etc?
>>>

>> more /var/run/dmesg.boot  to get the info at boot time.
>> vmstat 5 5 will give you 5 items 5 sconds apart to show you procs,
>> memory,
>> page, disks, faults and cpu info.
>>

> Thanks, that was a good start. Now, if I wanted to see more detailed
> info on the processor than the dmesg.boot output:
>
> Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x673  Stepping = 3
>
> Like cache size etc.?

You could try seeing what values are available through SNMP, if
you're interested in dynamic values like memory usage, CPU usage,
disk usage, etc. Manufacturing details on the CPU won't change
between reboots, but there should be other ways to find that out.

dmesg.boot gives me all this data, some of which might be useful
for what you're after.

CPU: Pentium II/Pentium II Xeon/Celeron (233.29-MHz 686-class CPU)
   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x634  Stepping = 4

Features=0x80f9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,MMX>

--
Paul Beard
<http://paulbeard.no-ip.org/movabletype/>

A university is what a college becomes when the faculty loses interest
in students.
		-- John Ciardi