How to mount USB drive in FreeBSD 5.0?

frank at franklee.net frank at franklee.net
Sun Sep 28 15:27:50 PDT 2003

On Sunday 28 September 2003 2:36 pm, Kent Stewart wrote:
> On Sunday 28 September 2003 11:13 pm, Frank Lee wrote:
>> On Sunday 28 September 2003 20:57, Andreas Kohn wrote:
>> > It doesn't even look like your usb drive is plugged in? Even if
>> > umass hadn't accepted it, ugen should have had attached (outputting
>> > some messages)
>>
>> ughh..... well, it helps to plug it *all the way* in. :-( It's new
>> and I didn't want break it...
>>
>> The message I get is:
>> umass0: Cypress Semiconductor USB2.0 Storage Device, rev 2.00/0.01,
>> addr 2 umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (STALLED)
>>
>> The system just halts there...

Let me clarify this statement. There's a On/Off switch on the drive.
It's when I turn it (usb drive) off, the messages scroll (which I'd
post if I could get them) and systems reboots. Happened twice. The
third time, it says it got disconnected and the system continues to
run fine.

> I find that FreeBSD gets really confused if you have a msdos formatted
> zip in the zip drive when you boot.

It is a msdos formatted usb drive (2.5" laptop type drive in a
IDE-to-USB2.0 case). Not a zip drive, but thank you for sharing that
piece of info.

Frank Lee