cvsup + portupgrade Now no Gnome login

stan stanb at panix.com
Sun Sep 28 06:05:28 PDT 2003

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 10:48:44PM -0500, Frank Knobbe wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 14:17, stan wrote:
> > I cvsup'd today (main and ports), then did a portupgrade -aRR, and now I
> > can't get loged intot a session using gdm.
> >
> > I've rebooted the machine, and blown awa ~/.g[cn]* in my user home
> > directory. Still no luck. I tried the "Gnome failsafe" session, still no
> > luck. Looks like it doesn't even _try_ to start Gnome, and I get a console
> > message about
> >
> >  gdm_slave_session_start: Execution of PostLogin script returned > 0. Aborting.
>

> Heh... same thing happened to me. Here is what you need to do:
>
> cd into /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm. There you find your gdm.conf. After the
> cvsup, you have (or have a newer version of) factory-gdm.conf. A
> comparison showed wha'ts missing. Go ahead and edit gdm.conf. Search for
> "PostSessionScriptDir". You should see a path assigned to it. You should
> also see a definition of "PreSessionScriptDir". What you don't see is
> "PostLoginScriptDir". Go ahead and add to that section following line:
>
>   PostLoginScriptDir=/usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/PostLogin/
>
> Then restart gdm ("/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh stop" and
> "/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh start") and you should be good to go.
>
> Hope this helps,

Indeed it did!

Thanks for the help on this.

BTW, out of curoisity, Did I need to delete the ~/.g[nc]*
filles/directories? If I had  not would they have been auto upgraded?

Looking foward to playing with Gnome 2.4, hope it's a step back twoard 1.4
from 2.2, which I loathe.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin