RealTek Nic Chip

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 26 19:52:58 PDT 2003

Horrible reply mangling.  I won't reply to any more messages mangled
this badly.

On Friday, 26 September 2003 at 13:08:46 -0700, Tony A. Fields wrote:
> At 02:44 PM 9/26/03 -0400, you wrote:
>> Sent: Friday, September 26, 2003 12:05 PM

>>> Check the PC's bio's to insure you have the onboard Nic enabled.
>>> Since you can not see the onboard Nic in the boot log as an unknown
>>> device the motherboard bios must have the Nic disabled.
>>
>> Please note that I have looked at the output from ifconfig. Also
>> note that the driver recognizes that the DFE-530TX uses the RealTek
>> 8139 chip.
>>
>> Any other suggestions on how to get the RealTek 8201BL chip to work?

Well, it would be good to report on what I suggested above.

> Oh, I forgot to mention that even though the on-board nic is enabled what I
> did see in the boot log as unknown was something like "if_fwe0 ethernet
> over firewire" ??? Mystery to me.

What's the mystery?  That's Ethernet over firewire, but you should
know that already.

> Also ifconfig shows
>
> fwe0: flags = 8802 <BROADCAST, SIMPLEX, MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>          ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
>          ch 1 dma -1
>
> where xx is the physical mac address. ????

What's the problem?

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.