mount an ftp or ssh filesystem

Pascal Giannakakis capm at gmx.net
Fri Sep 26 10:55:36 PDT 2003

C. Ulrich wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 04:34, Pascal Giannakakis wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>i'd like to mount remote ftp and ssh dirs into my local dir-tree, however
>>can't find info on that for FreeBSD. I can't find neither a port, nor something
>>for the kernel (like LUFS in Lunix). Other network-FSs are not an option.
>>BTW - If you wonder whats its use is: i would like to access the files i work
>>on with different programming tools seamlessly.
>>
>>Is it possible at all in FreeBSD 5.1?
>>
>>TIA
>

> I don't know for sure whether it's possible or not, but mounting a
> remote FTP directory onto a local mount point does not sound like a good
> idea.
>
> You said that other network filesystems are not an option, but then
> neither FTP or SSH (assuming you meant FTP tunnelled through SSH) are
> networking filesystems either. The two popular implemtations of network
> filesystems are NFS (Unix) and SMB (Unix via Samba, Windows). You should
> take a close look at those since you will get much better performance
> and security with them than by grafting an FTP directory to your
> filesystem. If you need this in order to do your job and don't have
> administrator access to the remote machine(s), then petition your system
> administrator to look into NFS or SMB.
>
> C. Ulrich

Of course you are right when you say there are better solutions for
network-filesystems, and i use them when i have access to the server
config. However most servers i work on are mass-products where your
personal need for features is always answered by "upgrade your account".
This, in turn, arises the need for some other (OS-level) solution.