RealTek Nic Chip

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Fri Sep 26 09:52:14 PDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003, Tony A, Fields wrote:
>Thanks for the input Greg.
>
>Please note that I have looked at the output from ifconfig. Also note that
>the driver recognizes that the DFE-530TX uses the RealTek 8139 chip.
>
>Any other suggestions on how to get the RealTek 8201BL chip to work?

As a paper weight, yes, as a NIC no.

I can't speak to these on FreeBSD, but they have a horrible reputation in
the Linux world, and I gave up on them quite a while ago (as I did non-DEC
Tulip cards).  The best source of inexpensive, reliable NICs I've found is
our local PC recycling store where I can get used 3COM 3C905 cards for
about $10US.  They work, and 3COM honors their lifetime warranty.

We're primarily using 3COM, Intel, and the on-board NICs on IBM's xSeries
machines now.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``... because most politicians and bureaucrats are technological idiots,
it's going to be crucial for the rank and file members of the IT community
to find its collective voice soon.'' --Michael Vizard, InfoWorld Editor in
Chief.