install issues

default013 default013 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 25 20:26:17 PDT 2003

Hello,

I've installed FreeBSD enough times, but have never had anything like this
happen before. I searched the mailing list archives and couldn't find
anything of use there either ... I was wondering if anyone has had any
similar issues ...

I've tested this with a storebought 4.2 version disk, and burned ISOs of
4.1, 4.3, and 4.8. Each time I attempt the install I run into the same
problem:

System boots up, begins reading the CD ROM and takes me to the kernel
configuration screen. I can select either of the options, but when it goes
to the sysinstall screen I get a brief flash of sysinstall and 1 of 2 things
happen: most of the time the system reboots itself displaying no error
messages or 2 rarely the system will stay at sysinstall, and after flashing
the screen for a second displays a distorted image of sysinstall under which
all I can see is basically a grey background with blue bars on it. I can
move the selection around, but if I select something the system reboots.

The system is running on a p3 733 mhz processor with 384M SDRAM on a 133
Bus. Motherboard is a Intel D815EGEW that is brand new. Has 2 IBM 80G hard
drives and a Netgear network card ... that's about it ...

I've tried using a different (beside the built-in) video card and had the
same problem. I tried disabling one of the hard disks and had the same
problem, and also tried disabling the CD ROM device (it is very old) just in
case ... but run into the same problem every time. The same thing happens
even when using boot diskettes.

Anyone have any idea why this would happen? I've tried everything I can
think of and am stumped! Could it be the motherboard? Its an Intel ...

Thanks,

Jordan