Ports woes.

K Anderson freebsduser at comcast.net
Thu Sep 25 16:05:44 PDT 2003

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 08:45:29PM -0700, cuddlesomebunny wrote:
>
>>Could anybody explain to me what is up with ports?
>

> You'll have to provide specifics before we can diagnose what is going
> wrong (or not, as the case may be) on your system.  It could be user
> error, a known problem, or something else.
>
> Kris
Well, it looks like the message was cut off either by yourself or
something else.

But here's what happens.

I go to /stand/sysinstall and pick a port, for example some port that
relies on fontconfig. Since I already have fontconfig installed on my
system when I select a given port it goes to fetch fontconfig then
errors out (fontconfig is already installed so pkg_add freaks) and then
I can not install the port. If I uninstall fontconfig then the given
package succeeds in the installation (the fontconfigs appear to be the
same versions being offered).

Then I figure, go to /usr/ports and then select the same package and the
  make processes doen't notice that fontconfig is installed then goes to
make it and again errors out and tells me to deinstall fontconfig.

For some reason /stand/sysinstall or the make from ports is sometimes
not recognizing dependencies that are already installed.

Another hang, as already mentioned in the email (and seems to be
missing) was I talked about the /stand/sysinstall of Apache and mod_php.
I for example would install Apache+ssl and then want to install
mod_php4. php4 would select the generic apache and install that over
Apache+ssl and thus resolting in having to uninstall Apache and go and
reinstall Apache+ssl.  Also I got some error from an Apache install that
said it needed to be compiled in a certain way so that modules like
mod_auth_mysql would work. So after going in to /usr/ports/ww/apache+ssl
I managed to get Apache up and running.

Does this possibly clear up things?