Sendmail vs. Postfix...

Kenneth Culver culverk at sweetdreamsracing.biz
Wed Sep 24 18:52:16 PDT 2003

I have used postfix and sendmail on both linux and FreeBSD and I definitely
prefer postfix. For starters, its security track-record is much better. Also it
was very easy to ste up a system that uses mysql with virtual domains, SASL for
relay authentication (also interfacing with mysql) etc... I have horde,
postfix, postfix's SASL, and courier imap all using the same tables in mysql
for users. I don't know if sendmail can do all this, but I'm sure postfix can
do it more easily and in a more secure manner.

Ken

Quoting Jett Tayer <jett at sycorax.ath.cx>:

> if ur a conservative unix admin, go with sendmail, but for "easiness" use
> postfix.
> i have 2 mailservers and is using postfix in one and sendmail on the other.
>
> \jett
>

> >> Quick question. How hard is it to set up Postfix. I am getting tried of
> >> Sendmail. Is it hard to set up Postfix to access passwords  so that the
> >> only mail can be sent.
> >
> > I've been running Postfix after migrating from Sendmail for the better
> > part
> > of a year now. I found it much easier to set up in the areas of virtual
> > hosts, authentication, relaying and content filtering. I'd suggest
> > starting
> > with the Postfix documentation at www.postfix.org. You will also find
> > several helpful README's in the source distribution, just 'cd
> > /usr/ports/mail/postfix && make extract' and you can browse through them
> > befor

e you decide to build and install it. You might also consider joining