FreeBSD and SMP support

jaco2001uk at ntlworld.com jaco2001uk at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 24 17:28:07 PDT 2003

Hi

I'm after some general information on SMP support on FreeBSD.

I've been running FreeBSD 5.1 for a couple of months as a Web server on a single CPU system and have had no problems - in fact it's performed excellent. I've now got a "new" PC that has dual PII 300 CPU's.

I have read a lot of articles regarding the supposed poor support of SMP in Pre 5 releases but that now apparently is starting to change in 5.X releases.

I've also read articles relating to performance issues with MySQL on FreeBSD. Although apparently performance has drastically improved in MySQL 4 series releases though - if compile with Linux Threads Support (?)

My questions really are how well does FreeBSD 5.X or 4.X running Apache and MySQL perform with 2 CPU's and does Linux perform better?

Many thanks

David