Disk geometry

radu.florin radu.florin at free.fr
Wed Sep 24 13:02:30 PDT 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:20:42 -0500, Andrew L. Gould <algould at datawok.com>
wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 September 2003 03:09 pm, Sergey "DoubleF" Zaharchenko
> wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:11:49 +0200 "radu.florin" <radu.florin at free.fr>
> probably wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm testing the coexistence of Win95, Linux Slackware and Free BSD 5.1
>> > on a single physical disk PC ( P133, 16Mo RAM, 3 GO dd).
>> > Just the time to see if I can boot to the OS I want to use.
>> > Then to install on a PC with 384 Mo RAM a 40 Go dd
>> > On the P133 I'm testing, all is working fine with Win and Slack.
>> > Slack boot lets me go to Win or Linux without any problem.
>> > I installed also a minimal FreeBSD in good conditions.
>> > But I have no access at it...
>> > Slack boot don't see it.
>> > And if I accept-when installing Free BSD - one of his boots (MBR or
>> SB)
>> > I can't have no Win, no Slack, neither FreeBSD. It displays the usual
>> > choice F1, F2... but no one works (just screaming).
>> > It seems to be a dd geometry problem.
>>
>> No. It is the BIOS that seems to be the problem. It might be unable to
>> do packet interface which is by default required by BootEasy. You could
>> try booting from a FreeBSD floppy and running
>>
>> #boot0cfg -o nopacket /dev/ad0BUGS
>>
>> (replace ad0 with the harddrive). man 8 boot0cfg for details. It says:
>>
>> man>     Use of the `packet' option may cause `boot0' to fail, depending
>> on
>> the man>     nature of BIOS support.
>>
>> HTH
>
> I may be way off here, but were the bootable partitions for each
> operating set as bootable in the partitioning section of the installation
> procedures?
>
> Yesterday, I reinstalled Win2K on a portion of the 1st hard drive of my
> desktop.  (FreeBSD is on the 2nd hard drive.) I then executed
> /stand/sysinstall in FreeBSD to mark the Win2K partition as bootable and
> load the FreeBSD boot loader into the MBR.  Later, I installed NetBSD on
> the last part of the 1st hard drive, leaving the MBR alone during NetBSD
> installation.
>
> When I rebooted, the FreeBSD boot loader showed the partitions for each
> operating system; but would only boot Win2K and FreeBSD.  I had to go
> back to /stand/sysinstall in FreeBSD to mark the NetBSD partition as
> bootable.  Now I can boot all 3 operating systems (one at a time, of
> course!) .
>
> Best of luck,
>
> Andrew Gould

Thank you Sergey and Andrew.

For Andrew: I set bootable all the partitions (OS) but the result is the
same, so:
when I set BSD boot, F1,F2, etc screaming and not working.
when I set  Standard MBR boot I get "INVALID PARTITION TABLE"

For Sergey:

I use for install purpose the floppies kern.flp, mfsroot.flp and
drivers.flp (for my CD )
During the install I did'nt met "security" floppie proposal to initiate in
case of boot pb.
As soon as install is finished, the only way to exit the install menu is
to...reboot.
So what floppy can I use to try the boot0cfg routine you propose ?
After repairing the MBR I have two OS operating (Win and Slack) and
one(SBD) installed but closed.
Newbie question, perhaps.
Thank you