Why do you prefer FreeBSD???? Maybe Windows is more comfortable

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Wed Sep 24 12:35:23 PDT 2003

> Hi All!!!
>
>   I think that WinXP more popular and more easy than FreeBSD. People
>   all over the world know what is Windows but don't know what is
>   FreeBSD. More programs is written work on Windows....
>   Windows more comfortable in work with graph...
>   If windows more popular and more program work on windows why do you
>   use FreeBSD?

The popularity of MS-win is due to marketing and market manipulation
first by IBM/Microsoft, then by Microsoft/IBM and now by Microsoft.
Despite what some MS advocates say, it has little to do with the
quality of the system

>   I am beginner and I don't understand why a lot of people say that
>   FreeBSD it's cool..... Why?

FreeBSD is superior for serious computing work and as a server system.

>   What do you prefer FreeBSD or Windows???

Generally FreeBSD for almost everything, but I am stuck with MS
for some things and so I use it too, but with ever present fear
of getting trashed by the latest defect.

>   This mailing list is dedicated to FreeBSD. I know that users of
>   FreeBSD more than users of Windows....
>   Please try understand me correctly. Thanks for any answer!

There are dozens, probably hundreds, of postings and articles writen
on this subject.   Try Google or some other search engine and you
will be inundated with commentary - some of it even fairly thoughtful
and useful amidst the emotional diatribes.

If you REALLY want to know the value of FreeBSD, install it and
use it for some serious computer work such as running a network
server or doing significant databases or numerical proessing.
You need to use it long enough to become truely familiar and to
get past your MS habits.   Then it will begin to dawn on you.

So, do some Googling.

By, the way, this sort of flame inviting post that you made is
often seen as a post from a troll just trying to get an argument
going.  But, I have answered as if you meanth it seriously.  So
don't try and get a flame war going.  Instead, do some studying
and get some experience by trying it out.

////jerry