A question about host...

Armand Passelac apasselac at free.fr
Wed Sep 24 08:47:00 PDT 2003

[---- On Wed, 24 Sep, 2003 at  9:51, Payne wrote: ----]
> Hi,
>
> I am wanting to use host.allow and host.deny to make my box more secure.
> Is there a site that can explain how to use them.

If I remember well :

The lib libwrap.a corresponds to the famous name "tcp_wrappers".
This lib is designed to secure the access of some network services : xinetd,sshd,portmap, ...

Syntax of hosts_access files :
	service:host

	examples :
	# Manage ALL tcp_wrapped services for the source address 192.168.1.2
	ALL:	192.168.1.2
	# Manage the pop3 service for the source address corresponding to the name my.computer.fr
	pop3d:	my.computer.fr

	You can specify multiple services with the comma (pop3d, in.telnetd)
	There is also the tag EXCEPT to specify an exception :
	ALL:	EXCEPT 173.22.7.9

Order of reading :
	The tcp_wrapped network service will read before the hosts.allow and AFTRE the hosts.deny.
	The current  advice is to put the ALL:ALL in the hosts.deny

I hope it will help you.