WD drivers: Gone completely in 5.x?

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Tue Sep 23 17:00:07 PDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> What hardware do you have that does not work with the ata drivers ?

Mike, I don't want to get into a flame war here, as I've already been through
this when the ATA drivers were first released: no matter what hardware I've
used them with, I've had issues.  The oldest I can understand, but I gave it
another go two weeks ago with modern, brand new hardware (a new SiS based
Asus that was on the HCL when I bought it, and a Maxtor 40g IDE) and had the
same results.  The 4.8 was rebuilt last night with WD drivers, and the 5.1
was *supposed* to be rebuilt tonight, thus my email.  The ATA drivers are
buggy has hell, regardless of all the screaming I've heard to the
contrary: timeouts, with or without DMA disabled, hard write errors, etc.  I
just can't do it - especially since I am constantly told the drivers are
good, and my hardware is bad: if I take the setup that dies under ATA and
load either WD or *any other OS*, they work flawlessly.

I am a FBSD shop, have been since 2.2.5R, but I cannot use the ATA drivers -
I need something reliable (speed is irrelevant if it doesn't work).

Hrmmm.... I wasn't meaning to rant on you.  I just looked up and there it was
:-(   Sorry...  Frustration.

>          ---Mike

//Alif