vinum crashed disk error

John Fox jjf at mind.net
Tue Sep 23 11:21:50 PDT 2003

Hello,

Three IDE drives multiplexed together to make one large "partition"
(for mounting as /usr/local).

We were messing with hardware in the box and when we rebooted
vinum spat out errors about defective objects and the boot
came to a halt.  We figured we had left something loose or
unplugged on the motherboard, so we shut it down and took
a look.  Sure enough, the plug in the mobo's secondary IDE
channel was loose, so we reseated it and powered the machine
up again.

We saw that the kernel found all the IDE drives and figured
the problem was over.  But vinum had the same problem.  It
said (loose quotation): "/dev/ mounted read-only.  vinum config
not being rebuilt".  And then spit out the same errors it had
the first time.

Unfortunately, the vinum.org domain is having problems of some
sort, and the vinum help pages on lemis.com are redirected to
the vinum.org site, so I am deprived of a great trouble-shooting
resource.

System is 4.8-STABLE.

Below you will see the output of 'vinum start'.

Any suggestions as to fixing this problem would be
greatly appreciated, as we do make production use
of this box.

Thank you in advance for any words you may be
able to offer.

-John

output of 'vinum start':
Warning: defective objects

V bigdisk               State: down	Plexes:       1	Size:         23 GB
P big_plex            C State: faulty	Subdisks:     3	Size:         23 GB
S drive0                State: down	PO:        0  B Size:       8063 MB
S drive2                State: crashed	PO:     8063 MB Size:       8063 MB
S drive3                State: crashed	PO:       15 GB Size:       8063 MB

| John Fox <jjf at mind.net>     |    System Administrator   | InfoStructure   |