cvsup problem

Toni Schmidbauer toni at stderror.at
Mon Sep 22 14:39:54 PDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 01:40:56PM +0000, balaji at alumni.uottawa.ca wrote:
>  # cvsup -g -L 2 /root/ports-supfile
>  Parsing supfile "/root/ports-supfile"
>  Connecting to cvsup1.FreeBSD.org
>  Cannot connect to cvsup1.FreeBSD.org: Connection refused
>  Will retry at 17:47:15

seems like cvsup1.freebsd.org is down, have you tried any other
cvsup server?

>  bash-2.05b$ netstat -na |grep 5999
>  tcp4       0      0  *.5999                 *.*                    LISTEN

are you running a cvsup server? if you just would like to update
your ports-collections this is _not_ necessary.

> Two bits of information:
>
> * I am accessing via a firewall. I able to browse the web, send/get mail etc.
> * I can ping to hosts in the internal network, but not external hosts.

can you telnet to port 5999 on cvsup1.freebsd.org (or any other
official cvsup server)? if yes, cvsup should work. if no, you
need a plug-gw (fwtk, ipfw, pf ...)

by the why:

telnet cvsup1.freebsd.org 5999
Trying 198.104.69.57...
Connected to cvsup1.freebsd.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
! Access limit exceeded; try again later
Connection closed by foreign host.

cvsup1 is reachable again.

hth,
toni
--
Kann man etwas nicht verstehen, dann urteile man | toni at stderror dot at
lieber gar nicht, als dass man verurteile.       | Toni Schmidbauer