USB storage "dongles" and umass driver

Tom Parquette tparquet at twcny.rr.com
Sun Sep 21 17:13:36 PDT 2003

Hi.
I was looking at the Sunday ads and I found a LEXAR JumpDrive at a price
that I could swallow.
I looked at umass and it talks about supporting a couple of models of
SanDisk "dongles" in flash mode.
I do not know too much about these.  If my terms are incorrect, please
correct me.

The question I have is, are these devices generic enough that other
manufacturer's devices will work with the umass driver?
Something like this would be nice for transporting a few things to and
from work.  e.g. Installing Lotus Notes under wine on my FreeBSD machine
and using one of these USB devices for carrying my Notes ID file and
personal address book.

Comments/insights?
Thanks.