question on cvsup

liquid liquid at homebass.ca
Sun Sep 21 08:04:11 PDT 2003

To be completely honest, I don't think it's good "practise" to use cvsup
to go from freebsd 4-series to freebsd 5.

I use cvsup all the time to stick to the latest -STABLE branch.  Others
use the -CURRENT branch.  If I were to setup a machine and then decide I
wanted to use the new 5.1 I'd probably tarball /etc, /usr/local/,
/usr/home and /var/qmail and throw them on CD or something and just
start from scratch.  Of course this is my own opinion, and everyone will
share with you different thoughts on this.  I don't know for a fact that
using cvsup will break anything, I just go by the fact that it's
entirely a new release from the ground up and has many different things.

HTH,
Sandro