question on cvsup

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Sat Sep 20 19:32:27 PDT 2003

ALIAS wrote:

> i read the manual that came with my freebsd4 package. and i see on the
> website that there's a freebsd5, i want to use cvsup to update my system to
> version 5, and i don't know how to do that, the manual doesn't explain it
> well. can someone help me?

In the supfile that you use with cvsup, there's a line similar to
"*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_8".  This specifies which version of
the sources you want to sync to.  The handbook has a list of all the
tags at
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html>

But you should also be aware that 5.x (aka CURRENT) is not for everyone,
you should read the handbook section at
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html>
that discusses who should use STABLE and who should use CURRENT.

Brian