Rebuild broke mount_smbfs

Dale Clapperton (lists) lists at blackbird.net.au
Sat Sep 20 06:16:22 PDT 2003

Hi all

Since rebuilding a FreeBSD system recently because of the OpenSSH and Sendmail
issues, I've landed in a world of pain with mount_smbfs.  The system is now
running 4.9-PRERELEASE, and mount_smbfs will mount shares from Windows machines
on the network without a problem, but it will no longer mount shares from two
Debian linux servers running Samba (one 2.2.3a-12 and one 2.2.3a-6).

When I try to mount a share from the two Debian servers, after a few seconds it
times out:

su-2.05b# mount_smbfs //dale at drydock/public /mnt/public
Password:
mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Operation timed out

It's not an authentication problem, if I use the wrong password, it fails
immediately with "syserr = Authentication error".  I've tried a longer timeout
using -T, and manually specifying the workgroup with -W, neither of which have
any effect.

I can browse the affected shares using smbclient without a problem, but there
is a lengthy delay after putting in the password before the connection
succeeds.  I know that the Samba versions on the Debian servers are somewhat
old, but upgrading them is going to take a lot of doing, and I'm unsure whether
it will have any effect.

If anyone has some words of wisdom I'd greatly appreciate them.

Thanks

Dale